Friday, February 1, 2013

Sriracha Hummus (light)

When I donate blood, at least a fourth of it is extra virgin sriracha. Obviously, I'm going to make sriracha hummus. I make sriracha everything.

For this recipe, you will need 3 cups of garbanzo beans (see here for my suggestion about using dried beans over canned). Then most of the usual hummus suspects. Sriracha (duh). Aaaand the secret to it being light? Greek yogurt.

So before we get started let me tell you that hummus is not low fat. Much of its fat comes from the tahini and olive oil. For my recipe we are going to swap out about half the lipids in favor of fat-free Greek yogurt (we're talking about cutting out 28 grams of fat or about 250 calories). I don't miss it and I've forced others to eat this and no one has ever noticed.

Sriracha Hummus
(Modified from here)

3 cups chickpeas
2-4 tbsp. Sriracha sauce (I would use ten but I'm superhuman)
1-2 tbsp. Olive oil
1 tbsp. Peanut butter
2 tbsp. Greek yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp. Minced garlic
1/2 tsp. Cumin
Sea salt to taste

Again, puree this all until it looks like you pureed a bunch of crap. Then if you're like me, serve half of it to others and reserve the other half to put more sriracha in because your friends are weak.


No comments:

Post a Comment