Monday, January 28, 2013

Introductory Notes

Hi! This is my blog where I teach you how to eat better. I have a really simple philosophy when it comes to eating and it's that you should be eating as many vegetables and fruits as you can afford. Mostly, I think this way because I've helped a lot of people transition from crap-based diets to plant-based diets and watched them lose weight and get in shape for years now. I can't help but think this is one of the best things I can do for anyone, regardless of what I do professionally. In fact, I guarantee this is better for people than what I do for a living.

For whatever it's worth, I'm a grad student and don't buy organic anything. I agree with many experts that the benefits of eating organic versus non-organic plants exist, but are negligible. Mostly, I just think eating non-organic produce is still better than eating none. And most people eat almost none. So I pick my battles where I feel they're most worth fighting.

Nutritionally speaking, America eats like shit. We eat too much meat. We eat too many grains. We all know that part. And we know that we should be eating more plants, but god, who has the time? Who has the money?

Make the time, stupids. There's nothing more important in your life than NOT getting diabetes and NOT getting cancer because you said in your twenties and thirties you didn't have the time to learn to feed your body correctly but somehow had the time to watch Once Upon the Time. Come on. The acting on that show is horrible. Stop it.

And as for money? I'll teach you how to save money. That's another thing I'm ridiculously good at. Once you slash your meat budget and stop buying fresh produce that you should be buying frozen, you'll be amazed how much more money you have to buy things like tastier honey (seriously, try to buy local raw honey because bees are magic and it's the closest thing to legal crack money can buy).

So here's is my blog where I will experiment with simple, mostly plant-based recipes. Most of my recipes will pass two criteria: they are made using cheap, affordable ingredients (i.e. no saffron unless it's raining from the sky) and they are mostly made with clean-eating principles in mind (i.e. mostly plants sans grains).  Actually, I'm totally channeling my late grandmother when I say this: I'm not a professional chef.  But I know how to fucking feed you. So shut up and eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment